"For this child I prayed, and the Lord has granted me my petition which I asked of him." 1 Samuel 1:27



Monday, May 3, 2010

Haircuts, Footsteps and Applesauce

I have mixed emotions as I sit here tonight. First, I have to say that I'm definitely in no hurry for my boys to grow up...the time is already going by faster than I could have ever imagined it would. But I'm having a feeling that is somewhere between envy / jealousy / embarassment / worry. I'm not really sure how to describe it. What prompted this strange feeling? Let me explain...

I have a first cousin who writes a blog and a sister-in-law who writes a blog. One has a little boy a month older than my twins and the other has a little boy who is 6 weeks younger than my twins. Irony struck me when I saw the titles of 2 recent posts. One was "Walking and Haircuts" and the other was "First Haircuts and Other Firsts". Of course each one was accompanied by adorable little pictures of them sitting in the barber chair. I thought it was funny that they had both written about their little guys' haircuts, and a little ironic because my husband and I have been discussing how our boys are gonna need to get their hair cut soon. But it also made me think of other firsts and milestones that my boys haven't reached. Both of the previously mentioned tikes are also already walking. I NEVER wanted to be one of those moms who compare my kids to everyone else's, and believe me, I'm in NO hurry for them to walk (then I really will always be going in 2 different directions) or to grow up. Even though I know that sometimes twins develop differently and can sometimes be a little behind singletons, I can't help being a little concerned. Its not a competitive thing or a pride thing; I don't really know what it is. But I just want the best for my boys and never want them to feel different or inferior to anyone else. Obviously they're too young to know what that even means, but (being the worrywart that I am) I can't help but think about the future and how they'll feel if they have to deal with stuff like that. In my brain I know they'll all catch up and everyone will be more or less equal, but my heart doesn't always pay attention to my brain. My hearts looks at the fact that they aren't walking yet, they don't say many words (real words at least), and they're much tinier than other one-year olds. The size thing really bothers me. They're in the zero percentile - I didn't even know there was such a thing! I'm sure I'll write more about particular problem later...we've been having food issues! Who knew that MY kids of all people wouldn't want to eat!?

2 comments:

  1. Oh Sarah! Go get those boys hairs cut and then post us some pictures. And don't feel bad about them walking. I was just talking to some other moms at church and two of them said they had kids that didn't walk till 16 months. Everyone's different. And P doesn't talk either. They ARE boys, boys don't talk much :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are perfect. And, as Elenor Roosevelt said, "No one can make us feel inferior without our permission". Look at how old Hannah was when she first talked (and then we couldn't even understand the sweet pea!) She turned out just perfect too!!!

    ReplyDelete